Easter is just around the corner. Yay. And while it’s a time to, first of all, celebrate the reason for the season, it’s also a time to show love to those closest to us. This usually involves gift-giving, pot lucks (read: love feast), and family or friend hangouts.
Studies have shown that the holiday season is one of the highest times of waste generation, as there is larger consumption of goods and impulse buying. In fact, as much as a 30% increase in waste is produced during these times.
As a person practicing sustainability, how can you purchase thoughtful gift items and celebrate the season, while still staying true to your eco-friendly lifestyle? We’re here to help!
Here are a few things you can do as a sustainable gift-giver
1. Purchase thoughtful gifts: The number one rule of law when practicing sustainability is intentional purchases. You should make sure that the gift you’re buying is one the recipient would like and actually use, thereby reducing the risk that they stuff it at the back of their closet, or even worse, throw it away.
2. Invest in experiences: What’s one thing your gift recipient would like to do? Something they can’t stop talking about? This could be a visit to a new spa, a movie date, a hiking experience, or even a dance class? Instead of buying yet another gift that they probably already have, why not purchase an experience instead? Sign them up for that class or massage. We promise they’ll thank you for it.
3. Reduce the clutter: As eco-friendly individuals, one of our biggest pet peeves when shopping is the amount of wrapping that comes with a new product. Do we really need all of that paper and foam and nylon? When purchasing a gift, ask for less gift wrapping if possible, or better yet, buy from a store that has incorporated sustainable packaging into its processes.
And here’s what not to do
4. Don’t buy the same gift twice: We sometimes do, out of a lack of gift ideas. You bought them a white mug last year, so how about a blue one this year, to add to their collection? Don’t do it. They probably don’t want it and you’ll be contributing to more waste.
Wondering what gift items to get? Here are a few ideas from us
- Biodegradable bamboo plate sets and cutlery for your friend who likes to cook.
- Unique reusable tote bags for the shopaholics.
- A fragrance diffuser for your fragrance-loving friend
- Self-care set
What gifts will you be buying this holiday? You can take a picture and tag us on our social media pages @givoafrica. We can’t wait to hear from you!